This study on the gold market is commissioned by WWF‐Guianas, in the context of its Guianas Sustainable Resource Management Project (GSRMP) 2007‐2011. Understanding gold trade markets is important in the context of efforts by WWF‐Guianas to certify “responsible”, “clean” or “green” gold from Suriname. In this context, the objectives of this study are to:
1. Describe the routes by which Suriname gold enters the (jewelry) commercial market;
2. Investigate the origin of gold that is sold in Suriname jewelry stores;
3. Identify stakeholders and their roles in the various stages of gold marketing in Suriname;
4. Describe legal procedures for, and actual processes in, gold trade in Suriname
5. Investigate challenges and opportunities to the development of a market for green gold.