June 24, 2020 @ 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm
Launch of the OSCE and Tech Against Trafficking publication
Leveraging innovation to fight trafficking in human beings: A comprehensive analysis of technology tools
24 June 2020
16:30-17:30 CEST | 7:30-8:30 PST | 10:30-11:30 EST
The intersection of technology and trafficking in human beings is one of the defining topics of the global conversation on efforts to end human trafficking. Traffickers are widely misusing technology to advance their criminal activities; yet at the same time, technology can be used to support prosecution, prevention and protection of victims. The Office of the OSCE Special Representative and Co-ordinator for Combating Trafficking in Human Beings (OSR/CTHB) and Tech Against Trafficking, a coalition of technology companies1, have joined efforts to conduct research on how technology is being used to prevent and combat trafficking in human beings.
The OSR/CTHB-TAT publication seeks to address the current information gap on the use of technology to combat trafficking in human beings. It aims to empower anti-trafficking stakeholders with knowledge and information to aid in leveraging the power of technology to fight the exploitation of people. As part of their collaboration, OSR/CTHB and TAT identified more than 300 tech tools and initiatives which can be used to address human trafficking.
It is the first major publication to conduct a global analysis of how different stakeholders, including law enforcement, civil society, businesses and academia can take advantage of technology to advance the fight against the human trafficking crime. It also provides recommendations to governments and other organizations on how to maximize the value of technology-based solutions.
Speakers will provide insights about the outcome of the research and how it can be used by stakeholders to advance the fight against trafficking in human beings.
- Thomas Greminger, OSCE Secretary General
- Valiant Richey, OSCE Special Representative and Co-ordinator for Combating THB
- Hannah Darnton, Tech Against Trafficking Secretariat
- Per-Anders Sunesson, Ambassador at Large for Combating Trafficking in Persons, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Sweden
- Phil Bennett, Tech Against Trafficking Member
- Thi Hoang, Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime, Responsible and Ethical Private Sector Coalition against Trafficking Initiative